The RecruitAbility Scheme aims to build the confidence and ability of candidates with disability to compete for APS vacancies.
We participate in the Australian Public Service RecruitAbility scheme to support the employment of people with disability.
About the scheme
The scheme gives people with disability the opportunity to put forward their skills and experience during the selection process. All our externally advertised vacancies are accessible under the scheme.
Under the scheme, applicants will be automatically progressed to further assessment stages if they:
- identify as having a disability
- choose to opt into the scheme
- meet the minimum job requirements
The Australian Bureau of Statistics defines disability as a limitation, restriction or impairment, which has lasted, or is likely to last, for at least 6 months and restricts everyday activities, including:
- loss of sight not corrected by glasses or contact lenses
- loss of hearing where communication is restricted or an aid is required to assist with, or substitute for, hearing
- speech difficulties
- shortness of breath or breathing difficulties causing restriction
- chronic or recurrent pain or discomfort causing restriction
- blackouts, fits, or loss of consciousness
- difficulty learning or understanding
- incomplete use of arms or fingers
- difficulty gripping or holding things
- incomplete use of feet or legs
- nervous or emotional condition causing restriction
- restriction in physical activities or in doing physical work
- disfigurement or deformity
- mental illness or condition requiring help or supervision
- long-term effects of head injury, stroke or other brain damage causing restriction
- receiving treatment or medication for any other long term conditions or ailments and still being restricted
- any other long term conditions resulting in a restriction
You can opt in to the scheme when submitting your application. However, if you opt in you may skip certain steps or progress in the selection process. This provides you with a better opportunity to demonstrate your skills and experience for a role.
We continue the standard selection process to choose the most suitable applicant for the vacancy.
Read more about employment support for people with a disability.
If you would like more information or have any questions, email Diversity.
Read more about the RecruitAbility scheme: A guide for applicants on the Australian Public Service Commission website.
View our current vacancies.