Policies on our social media accounts
This policy contains the Department of Human Services rules in relation to social media.
This user policy is in addition to any user policy or terms and conditions imposed by the Facebook/Twitter host.
As a user of the Department of Human Services' Facebook/Twitter pages you may express your views, comments, ideas, insights, and criticisms about the department.
At the same time, you should show courtesy and respect to others and must not use the wall to abuse others, expose others to offensive or inappropriate content, or for any unlawful purpose.
Please be aware that the department may change this policy at any time.
When using the Facebook wall, please ensure that you:
- do protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information of either yourself or of others in your posts to the wall (for example, names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers)
- do represent your own views and not impersonate or falsely represent any other person
- do not be abusive, harass or threaten others
- do not make defamatory or libellous comments
- do not use insulting, provocative or hateful language
- do not use obscene or offensive language
- do not post material to the wall that infringes the intellectual property rights of others
- do not post multiple versions of the same view to the wall or make excessive postings on a particular issue
- do not promote commercial interests in your posts to the wall
- do not include internet addresses or links to websites, or any email addresses in your post to the wall
- do not make unproven or unsupported accusations against individuals or organisations
- do not encourage conduct that may or would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, provincial, national or international law or regulation anywhere in the world
- do not incite hatred on the basis of any personal characteristic, including on the basis of race, gender, marital or domestic status, disability, sexuality or age
- do not identify matters that are currently the subject of legal proceedings or would break a court’s non-publication order
- do not make comments that are irrelevant to the topic being discussed.
The Department of Human Services reserves the right to enforce this Acceptable Use Policy at its discretion. The department may remove any posted messages that it considers to be in breach of this policy. The department may also block or delete you as a user if it considers that that you have breached this policy.
If you have any questions about this policy, please email email@example.com
Facebook/Twitter Privacy Statement
The Department of Human Services records any information posted to the department's Facebook/Twitter page and uses that information for the purpose of administering its Facebook/Twitter page and considering and/or addressing any comments made.
No attempt will be made to further identify individuals except where authorised or required by law. The department is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of Facebook/Twitter or any linked websites.
Material on the Department of Human Services Facebook and Twitter pages has been submitted by users of those pages.
The department accepts no responsibility whether express or implied for the accuracy, currency and completeness of any information posted on department's Facebook or Twitter pages or its relevance and suitability for any purpose. For further information about the department please visit our Human Services website, or contact us.
The department does not endorse or otherwise support any view and opinion posted by a user or contributor on the department's Facebook and Twitter pages.
(2) If you post content on or otherwise use the Channel, you will be taken to have entered into a binding legal agreement with us on these Terms so please read them carefully.
Use of Channel
(3) You agree to use the Channel only for lawful purposes, and in a manner that does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of, the Channel by any third party. This includes conduct which is unlawful or which may harass or cause distress or inconvenience to any person, the transmission of obscene or offensive content, or disruption to the Channel.
(4) You must not post or transmit via the Channel any unlawful, defamatory, obscene, offensive or scandalous material, or any material that constitutes or encourages conduct that would contravene any law.
(5) In particular, you agree to:
- always treat other people with respect and courtesy;
- not be abusive, or harass or threaten others;
- not make defamatory or libellous comments;
- not use insulting, provocative or hateful language;
- not use obscene or offensive language;
- represent your own views and not impersonate or falsely represent any other person;
- refrain from any unlawful activity;
- not post material that infringes the copyright or other intellectual property rights of others;
- not post multiple versions of the same comment or other material or to make excessive postings on a particular issue;
- not promote commercial interests in your posts or to transmit any material which may breach the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) or any similar laws;
- not include internet addresses, links to websites or email addresses in your posts;
- not make accusations (whether unproven, unsupported or otherwise) against individuals or organisations;
- not encourage conduct that may or would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, provincial, national or international law or regulation anywhere in the world;
- not incite hatred, discrimination or disrespect on the basis of any personal characteristic, including on the basis of race, gender, marital or domestic status, disability, sexuality or age;
- not identify matters that are currently the subject of legal proceedings or would break a court’s non-publication order;
- not make comments that are irrelevant to the topic being discussed;
- to protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information of either yourself or of others in your posts to the wall (for example, names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers);
- be aware that comments provided by Department of Human Services staff via social media will be of a general nature and must not be taken as advice relating to individual specific circumstances or entitlements;
- be aware that any information you provide via social media will not be linked in any way with your Centrelink, Medicare of Child Support records except where required or authorised by law; and
- be aware that anything you communicate using social media is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary.
(6) If you behave in a manner which breaches term (5) above, we may, in our sole discretion:
- remove or refuse to post any material you have submitted
- suspend or permanently block you from using the Channel
- report you to YouTube, LLC and/or any appropriate law enforcement authorities
- take any other action, including legal action, which we consider to be appropriate.
Use of Channel content
(7) Comments and other content posted on the Channel by users are provided by, and are the responsibility of, the persons who created those postings. We do not endorse, support or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any of the comments or other content posted on the Channel or endorse any of the opinions expressed.
(8) We take reasonable care in linking to other websites but we have no direct control over the content presented in those websites or the availability of those websites.
(9) We make no representation that the material on any linked websites does not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person. We do not authorise the reproduction or use in any way of such material.
(10) We do not endorse or recommend any links to external websites, or third party content, including products and services offered by, from or through those websites or their content.
Moderation of posted content
(11) While we make reasonable efforts to ensure inappropriate material is identified and moderated, we do not guarantee we will identify all inappropriate material or that inappropriate material will not be published due to technical errors.
(12) In addition, our publication of posted content does not imply any endorsement, agreement or acceptance by us of the views expressed in that content. We recommend that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to evaluating such content and that they carefully evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance of the content for their purposes.
(13) We also do not guarantee that any posted content will be published and a user submitting content should not infer that the non-publication of that content suggests that the content is inappropriate.
(14) As such, we accept no legal liability whatsoever arising from, or connected to: the publication of any content; the failure to moderate any content (whether due to technical error or otherwise); or the use of, or reliance on, any content by a user.
Release and indemnity
(15) We do not accept responsibility for any loss or damage, however caused (including through negligence), which you may directly or indirectly suffer in connection with your use of the Channel or any linked site or facility, nor do we accept any responsibility for any loss arising out of your use of, or reliance on, information accessed using the Channel.
(16) To the extent permitted by law, any condition or warranty which would otherwise be implied into these Terms is hereby excluded.
(17) When posting or otherwise communicating content using the Channel, you agree to indemnify us and our employees and agents against any claim by a third party arising out of any breach of these Terms by you.
(18) These Terms do not attempt or purport to exclude liability arising under statute if, and to the extent, such liability cannot be lawfully excluded.
(21) We will only use and disclose personal information posted or otherwise communicated using the Channel in the manner required or authorised by law such as, for example, where a law enforcement authority or court order lawfully directs us to disclose the information.
(22) These Terms are governed by the laws of the Australian Capital Territory in Australia and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Australian Capital Territory in relation to any dispute with us relating to the Channel.
(23) If any of these Terms are held to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal for any reason, the remaining Terms will continue in full force.
(24) We may revise these Terms from time to time by posting the revised Terms on the Channel.
(25) In these Terms, 'You' and 'Your' means the user who is deemed to have agreed to these Terms by their use of the Channel and 'Our', 'Us' and ‘We’ means the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Human Services.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, problems or feedback regarding the Channel. For further information about the Department of Human Services please visit the Human Services website or contact us.
Page last updated: 15 May 2019