Our strategy positions us to meet challenges in delivering services to multicultural customers by making services more accessible, convenient and targeted.
It aligns with our Corporate Plan and meets our commitments under the Australian Government’s Multicultural Access and Equity Policy by delivering against the following 6 commitments:
We’ve summarised the information in the Multicultural Servicing Strategy 2016–19 in the infographic below.
- 70 Multicultural Service Officers
- We operate a national multilingual phone service in 23 languages
- Translated information available in 65 languages
- 2,978 interpreters who provide services in over 230 languages
- Our interpreters attended over 300,000 appointments in 2015-16
- 63 service centres with sessional interpreters
- 628 bilingual staff
- Community engagement through Multicultural Advisory Forums and the National Multicultural Advisory Group
- Targeted multicultural awareness training for all staff
- Multicultural Servicing Strategy 2016-19, 47 actions across 28 business areas
Read more about the Multicultural Access and Equity Policy on the Department of Social Services website.