Are your students under 18 and getting ABSTUDY Fares Allowance?
3 June 2019
From 1 July 2019, your students must have a Safe Travel Plan for pre-booked travel.
About Safe Travel Plans
A Safe Travel Plan is a plan that’s agreed between your students, their family and your school. It includes important details about their travel to help them get to where they’re going safely.
The Safe Travel Plan includes:
- information about your students’ travel
- who they’re travelling with
- who can help if something unexpected happens.
From 1 July 2019, your students will need a Safe Travel plan if they’re all of the following:
- under 18
- a secondary student
- pre-booking travel using ABSTUDY Fares Allowance.
You will need to help students put a Safe Travel Plan in place. There’s a Safe Travel Plan template on the Department of Social Services website.
About Fares Allowance
ABSTUDY Fares Allowance helps students with the costs of travelling between their home and their place of study.
They may get it if they get ABSTUDY and need to live away from home to study.
They can use ABSTUDY Fares Allowance for any of the following approved trips:
- interviews or orientation at a school
- going to and from school each term or semester
- travel home for school holidays
- travel home if they’re sick, or for compassionate reasons
- travel for a special purpose such as ceremonies, sporting events or graduation.
Page last updated: 3 June 2019