Employment status verification

To help us make the right payments to people, we may ask you to verify an employee’s or job seeker's employment status.

We have authority to get information from employers under section 192 of the Social Security (Administration) Act 1999.

Requests for employee information

We may ask you to complete a report verifying details about a past or present employee. This helps to make sure we provide the right payments or services.

Read more about requests for employee information.

Employment Verification Reports

We may send you an Employer Verification Report. This includes an Employment verification letter and a questionnaire. It is used to confirm employee details to make sure they receive the correct payment or service from us.

Read more about how to complete an Employment Verification Report.

Employer Contact Certificates

Job seekers who are in receipt of Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance are required to be actively seeking and willing to undertake suitable paid work.

From time to time the Department of Human Services will issue Employer Contact Certificates to a job seeker to assist with the administration of this requirement. A job seeker may ask you to sign an Employer Contact Certificate to verify they have made a genuine effort to find work. They will return the certificate to us.

You will only be asked to complete an Employer Contact Certificate if you have (or have recently had) an actual job vacancy.

You are not obliged to sign the certificate. However, if a job seeker approaches you for an advertised job vacancy or available paid work, and you are satisfied with the standard of their application, it would be appreciated if you would complete the Employer Contact Certificate.

Employment Separation Certificates

Employment Separation Certificates help us pay people the right amount from the correct date. Under section 196 of the Social Security (Administration) Act 1999, you need to complete the certificate within 14 days of the request.

Read more about how to complete an Employment Separation Certificate.

Page last updated: 8 March 2019