Applying to be an approved voluntary work organisation

Find out what you need to do to become an approved voluntary work organisation.

What you need to apply

There are different kinds of evidence you must provide when you submit your form.

Not for profit status

If you’re community based, you must provide evidence of your organisation’s not for profit status. 

The following table describes the 2 types of organisations and the evidence they need to provide.

Organisation Type Accepted evidence

Community based organisation
Is a not for profit organisation that provides services to the community.
All profits go back into the services provided and must not be distributed to the members, even if the organisation winds up.

  • Articles of, or a certificate of incorporation, or
  • a copy of your organisation’s constitution, or
  • a copy of your registration or membership with the regional, state or national Volunteer Centre
Government sector agency
Is a not for profit government sector agency operating at the local, state, territory, or federal level.
Not required


If you’re a community based organisation, you must provide evidence that you hold 2 types of insurance.

The following table describes the 2 types of insurance a community organisation must hold and the evidence they need to provide.

Insurance Type Accepted evidence

Public liability insurance
Covers injury to third parties and damage to third party property.

  • Certificate of currency, or
  • Notice in writing from your provider
Personal accident insurance
Covers volunteers for any accident or injury they have while working with your organisation.
It’s also known as voluntary worker’s insurance. It’s often purchased on its own or as an addition to your public liability insurance.
  • Certificate of currency, or
  • Notice in writing from your provider

In all cases, evidence of your insurance must confirm:

  • your organisation’s name
  • the type of insurance
  • the period of coverage, and
  • the amount of cover

We cannot accept Policy Disclosure Statements and tax invoices as evidence, as they don’t confirm this information.

To find out more about insurance cover, contact your insurance provider.

How to apply

You need to fill in a form to apply to be a voluntary work organisation.

Step 1: Download and complete the Voluntary Work - Request for organisation approval form.

Step 2: Attach evidence of your not for profit status if you’re a community based organisation.

Step 3: Attach evidence of your public liability and personal accident insurance.

Step 4: Submit your form and evidence to us. You can do this by:

Once we assess your application, we’ll write to you and let you know the outcome.

What happens next

If we approve your request, you can have 1 or more job seekers volunteer at your organisation.

Your responsibilities

We may need you to confirm how many hours per fortnight a job seeker volunteers at your organisation. This is so we can record it on their job plan. It’s the job seeker’s responsibility to seek your confirmation, if required.

You’ll have the same work health and safety responsibilities for job seekers, as for anyone else working or volunteering at your organisation. You’ll also need to make sure your workplace and any activities meet all work health and safety obligations under relevant legislation.

If you suspect a job seeker isn’t meeting their voluntary work activities, you should report it.

Change of Circumstances

It’s important to tell us if your circumstances change. You’ll need to advise of a change of circumstances within 14 days.

You need to tell us if your organisation changes it’s:

  • name
  • location
  • not for profit status
  • insurance cover
  • contact details or contact person, or
  • ceases to operate

You can use the Voluntary Work – Request for organisation approval form to update your details.

Page last updated: 3 September 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.