Learn how to use HPOS to register your organisation for, and manage authorisations within, the My Health Record system.
Using HPOS, you can do the following tasks:
- register your healthcare organisation for the My Health Record system
- manage authorisation links
To use HPOS to register for the My Health Record system your organisation must first be registered in the Healthcare Identifiers (HI) Service. Read more about Healthcare Identifiers Service including how to register an organisation and individuals.
The organisation’s Responsible Officer or Organisation Maintenance Officer can access the My Health Record system in HPOS with either a Medicare PKI individual certificate or a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account.
If you would like more information about accessing HPOS and its services go to humanservices.gov.au/hpos.
My Health Record system
The My Health Record system provides a secure online summary of your healthcare recipient's digital health record. Before registering to participate in the My Health Record system, we recommend you learn more about the system, including what you need to know about organisation hierarchies and access flags.
Registering your organisation to participate in the My Health Record system
A parent organisation must be selected before a child organisation can be.
A parent organisation is the healthcare organisation which is directly superior to the network organisation in your network hierarchy.
If you are unable to check the box next to your organisation it could be that its parent organisation is not registered in the My Health Record system or your organisation is not active in the HI Service.
How to register your organisation
- select My Health Record system – Organisation registration from main menu
- select Healthcare Organisation Registration
- select the organisation you would like to register from the list displayed
Note: If you're unable to select your organisation because it doesn't appear in the organisation registration list, it could be you are not the Responsible Officer or Seed Organisation Maintenance Officer, for that organisation, and you are not linked to the organisation in the HI Service.
- Healthcare Provider Organisation Registration page opens displaying the organisation's hierarchy. This is the network map for the organisation
- Select Register Organisation and check the box next to the organisation you want to register. You can select more than one
Note: If you are unable to check the box next to your organisation it could be that its parent organisation is not registered in the My Health Record system or your organisation is not active in the HI Service.
- When an organisation is selected the Access Flag Field will display a drop down box with options Yes or No
Note: The seed organisation access flag will automatically be set to Yes and cannot be changed. Access flags must be set for each registered network organisation. By choosing No the access flag will be the same as the parent organisation. This organisation will have access to the same health information as the parent organisation.
- change the access flag to Yes or No, as appropriate, for each organisation being registered and Save the changes
- My Health Record System – Registration Confirmation page opens displaying the list of organisations you have selected to register
- read and agree to the Participation Agreement before selecting the check box. You must be legally authorised to enter into a participation agreement on behalf of that organisation
- select Register
- your nominated organisation is now registered in the My Health Record system
Manage authorisation links
You can add or update authorisation links to:
- healthcare providers who work for your organisation. They must have a Healthcare Provider Identifier-Individual (HPI-I) number. Once authorised, they can access the My Health Record system through the Department of Health's National My Health Record Provider Portal on your organisation's behalf
- contracted service providers who provide your organisation with IT services or healthcare information management services in relation to the My Health Record system. They must have a contracted service provider registration number from the HI Service
Read more about Healthcare Identifiers Service, including how to apply for a healthcare identifier.
Once authorised, healthcare providers can login to access the Department of Health's National My Health Record Provider Portal.
Authorising healthcare providers access to the My Health Record Provider Portal
- select My Health Record System – Organisation Registration from the main menu in HPOS
- select Manage Authorisation Links
- My Health Record System – Healthcare Provider Organisation selection page displays with a list of organisations you can act of behalf of
- select Add/Update of the required organisation
- My Health Record system – Manage Authorisation Links page lists the healthcare provider individuals already linked to the organisation, if any
- to add a healthcare provider enter their HPI-I number in the Enter HPI-I Number field and select Search. The search function will only look for an exact match of a healthcare provider's HPI-I. The filter function allows you to use the HPI-I number and name to filter the existing linked HPI-I's to make selection of the required HPI-I easier
- authorisation links can be deactivated by selecting the Deactivate link