The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is a national register that records vaccines given to people of all ages in Australia.
The AIR can only accept immunisation information from recognised vaccination providers in Australia. This means the AIR cannot accept any information from parents.
Recognised vaccination providers
Medical practitioners, midwives and nurse practitioners with a Medicare provider number are:
- automatically recognised as vaccination providers, and
- authorised to record or get immunisation data from the AIR
Other eligible health professionals and organisations can apply to become recognised vaccination providers and access the AIR using HPOS.
Recognised vaccination providers should record their patient’s immunisation details on the AIR. They can also record vaccines given overseas if the relevant documents are translated into English.
Recording information on the AIR is important. The AIR is used to:
- determine a person’s immunisation status, regardless of who immunised them
- determine a person’s eligibility for some family assistance payments
- provide an Immunisation History Statement to prove their immunisation status for child care, school, employment or travel purposes
- monitor immunisation coverage levels and service delivery, which can help to identify regions at risk during disease outbreaks
- measure vaccination coverage at a local, state and national level
There are risks with revaccinating against certain diseases and people can only get some vaccines once. For your patient’s safety, it’s important that you record all immunisation information on the AIR.
The AIR lets recognised vaccination providers:
- record patient immunisation information
- update or correct some data already sent to the AIR
- request reports to help identify any patients due or overdue for a vaccination
- report immunisation medical exemptions online - eligible vaccination providers only
- get information payments for the provision of certain vaccinations - eligible vaccination providers only
We produce education modules to help you better understand how the AIR works.