The External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program helps eligible breast cancer patients buy external breast prostheses.
Your patient is eligible for this program if:
- they’ve had breast surgery, prophylactic or preventative mastectomy as a result of
- breast cancer, or
- diagnosis of pre-cancerous cells, non-invasive breast cancer or intraductal cancer
- they’re eligible for a Medicare card, and
- they haven’t made a claim for a prosthesis bought in the past 2 years
Eligible patients can claim a reimbursement of up to $400 for an external breast prosthesis for each breast.
Patients can claim for new or replacement prostheses.
If there’s a medical and/or cancer treatment reason why your patient needs a replacement prosthesis within 2 years they may get a further reimbursement. We’ll consider these on a case by case basis. The program doesn’t cover items such as bras, post breast surgery swimwear or internal prostheses.
Patients can’t claim a replacement prosthesis for a wrong choice, change of mind, incorrect initial fitting, size or style adjustment, lost, damaged, worn out or faulty prostheses.
- Read more about the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program
Read more news for health professionals.