Aged care entry requirements for providers

Home care

Home care is funded by the Australian Government through the Home Care Packages Program and provides aged care services to people in their own home.

Care recipients generally need 2 assessments to access a government subsidised home care package:

  • an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment that determines the care recipient’s needs, and recommends and approves suitable services. For example Home Care level 1, level 2, level 3 or level 4, and
  • an Aged Care Fees Income Assessment that works out the amount of fees payable

From 27 February 2017, for an approved provider to claim subsidies, a care recipient also needs:

  • a home care package assigned by Department of Health (Health)

Read more about the care recipient assessment and approval process on the Health website.

Use the Aged Care Entry Record form – AC021 to tell us if a care recipient has entered either permanent residential care or commenced receiving a Home Care Package on or after 1 July 2014.

This information was printed Monday 20 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 22 February 2019