What is the AIR
The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is a national register that records all vaccines given to people of all ages in Australia.
The AIR can only accept immunisation information from recognised vaccination providers in Australia. This means the AIR cannot accept any information from parents.
Recognised vaccination providers
Medical practitioners, midwives and nurse practitioners with a Medicare provider number are:
- automatically recognised as vaccination providers
- authorised to record or get immunisation data from the AIR.
Other eligible health professionals and organisations can apply to become recognised vaccination providers and access the AIR using HPOS.
Recognised vaccination providers should record their patient’s immunisation details on the AIR. They can also record vaccines given overseas if the relevant documents are translated into English.
Recording information on the AIR is important. The AIR is used to:
- determine an individual's immunisation status, regardless of who immunised them
- determine a person’s eligibility for some family assistance payments
- provide an Immunisation History Statement to prove their immunisation status for child care, school, employment or travel purposes
- monitor immunisation coverage levels and service delivery, which can help to identify regions at risk during disease outbreaks
- measure vaccination coverage at a local, state and national level.
There are risks with revaccinating against certain diseases and you can only get some vaccines once. For your patient’s safety, it’s important that you record all immunisation information on the AIR.
The AIR lets recognised vaccination providers:
- record patient immunisation information
- update or correct some data already sent to the AIR
- request reports to help identify any patients due or overdue for a vaccination
- report immunisation medical exemptions online - eligible vaccination providers only
- get information payments for the provision of certain vaccinations - eligible vaccination providers only.
Page last updated: 22 July 2019