To be eligible for the High Cost Claim Indemnity Scheme (HCCS) you must meet certain criteria.
The HCCS covers incidents:
- if the date the incident was first notified by the member or policy holder to the Medical Defence Organisations or Medical Indemnity Insurers was on or after 1 January 2003
- the claim exceeds the applicable threshold amount
High Cost Claims Scheme thresholds
|Notification date||HCCS threshold|
|1 January 2003 to 21 October 2003 (inclusive)||$2,000,000|
|22 October 2003 to 31 December 2003 (inclusive)||$500,000|
|1 January 2004 to 30 June 2018 (inclusive)||$300,000|
|On or after 1 July 2018||$500,000|
A HCCS claim may be eligible if the:
- claim is or was made against a practitioner
- claim relates to an incident or a series of related incidents in the course of, or in connection with, the practice by the practitioner of a medical profession
- incident or a series of related incidents occurs or occurred in Australia or it’s external territory
Your right to privacy
Read more about your right to privacy and how we collect and use your information.