To claim Medicare benefits, allied health professionals must:
- meet the qualification requirements set out in the Health Insurance (Allied Health Services) Determination 2014
- be registered with the AHPRA or a respective board or organisation
- be recognised as an allied health professional in their field by us
- be in private practice, and
- be working in a private capacity.
An allied health professional is also eligible for registration under the allied health professional initiative if they’re employed by:
an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Controlled Health Service, or a state or territory clinic that has an exemption under subsection 19(2) of the Act.
Allied health professionals who may qualify include:
Aboriginal Health Workers audiologists chiropractors diabetes educators dietitians exercise physiologists mental health nurses occupational therapists orthoptists osteopaths physiotherapists podiatrists psychologists social workers speech pathologists.