About the PIP Procedural GPs
Procedural GPs provide non-referred procedural services that in urban areas would normally be a specific referral based specialty.
Eligible procedural services are clinically relevant professional services that are listed in the Medicare Benefits Schedule and attract an anaesthetic fee.
Eligible procedural services are:
- obstetric delivery
- general anaesthetic
- major regional blocks
- abdominal surgery
- gynaecological surgery requiring general anaesthetic, and
The procedural service must:
- use facilities and resources which are centralised
- involve a team of health professionals, and
- be done by a GP who participates in an appropriate skills maintenance program in the relevant procedural areas
Minor procedures, such as aspiration of a knee joint, don’t fit the intent of this payment.
For the purposes of the Procedural GP Payment, after hours is any time:
- outside 8 am to 6 pm weekdays
- outside 8 am to 12 noon on Saturdays, and
- on a Sunday or public holiday
Page last updated: 22 February 2019