Public Key Infrastructure
Human Services Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates give health professionals secure access to online services.
Healthcare providers may need a Human Services Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificate to securely access online services.
We issue PKI certificates to individual healthcare providers and organisations.
Secure Hash Algorithm
PKI certificates use secure hash algorithm (SHA) technology to send secure messages and other transactions online.
- Transactions through your practice management or patient administration software use SHA-1 technology. As these transactions also need PKI site certificates, we give users SHA-1 PKI site certificates
- The latest version of some web browsers need SHA-2 technology to send messages and transactions. We automatically send SHA-2 PKI individual certificates to users
If you need a specific SHA version of a PKI certificate, contact the eBusiness Service Centre.
You need to register for a Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to access Health Professional Online Services (HPOS). You don’t need a PKI certificate to use HPOS.
Read more about PRODA.
National Authentication Service for Health PKI certificates
Healthcare providers and supporting organisations must have a National Authentication Service for Health (NASH) PKI certificate to access the My Health Record system.
Healthcare providers and supporting organisations can use a PKI certificate to do business with us online.
How to apply
Use these forms to apply for a Human Services PKI certificate:
- Application for a Public Key Infrastructure Site Certificate
- Application for a Public Key Infrastructure Individual Certificate
- Request to Revoke or Reissue a Public Key Infrastructure Certificate
- Acceptable Referee Declaration for Public Key Infrastructure Certificate applications
To find out more information go to:
- Simplified Billing and ECLIPSE - a way to reduce the number of accounts a private patient gets after being in hospital. ECLIPSE is an extension of Medicare Online claiming
- Online claiming for PBS - information for pharmacists about electronic claiming of Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) or Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS) medicines with Medicare
- Online claiming for aged care providers - a fast and secure service that lets you submit events and directly claim aged care payments
- Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) - a fast and secure way for health professionals and administrators to do business with us
- Healthcare Identifiers Service for health professionals - a national system that uses a unique number to match healthcare providers to individuals
Human Services PKI certificates expire every 2 or 5 years, depending on which policy your certificate was issued under.
Some software automatically renews your PKI certificate.
If your software doesn’t automatically renew your PKI certificate, we’ll send you a letter 60 days before your certificate expires. Complete the renewal confirmation and return it to us, then we can renew your PKI certificate.
PKI policy documents
PKI certificate policies are the rules for how we issue and use Human Services PKI certificates. Read the PKI policies and terms and conditions before you use your PKI certificate.
Healthcare Public Directory
We have IT standards for electronic transmission, scanning and storage of:
- referrals to specialists or consultant physicians, and
- requests for pathology and diagnostic imaging services
Read about these standards in the Notice of Information Technology (IT) Requirements.
Our PKI certificates meet the Gatekeeper (Public Key Infrastructure) framework under the International Organisation for Standardisation Health Informatics - Public Key Infrastructure technical specification (ISO/TS 17090).
PKI supporting documents, tools and software
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) policy documents
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) supporting documents, tools and software
If you need help with your PKI certificate contact us.
Before you apply for a PKI certificate, you need to read the common policies and terms and conditions. You also need to read the specific policy terms and conditions of the certificate issued to you.
How to store and manage Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates.
We have other payments, services and subjects to help you with Public Key Infrastructure.
Page last updated: 22 February 2019