PKI supporting documents, tools and software
How to store and manage Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates.
How to install your PKI individual certificate
A PKI individual certificate gives authorised people access to online services such as the Australian Organ Donor Register.
You can install a PKI individual certificate on a Mac or Windows computer. You’ll need full administrator access on a Windows computer. Contact your system administrator if you need help.
Personal Identification Code
You’ll need a Personal Identification Code (PIC) to use your PKI individual certificate. The PIC is a password to set up and use your certificate.
We’ll send an installation CD and PIC to you separately. The CD is software compatible with all individual certificates we’ve issued since 2012.
Store the CD and PIC in a secure place. You’ll need them if you accidentally lock your certificate.
- Install the software on the CD sent with your PKI certificate. You’ll need to install the software on each computer you use
- If you’re using a Mac and have installed the Token Administration Utility before, you need to uninstall the Token Administration Utility software before installing new software. You can find the Uninstaller on the CD, in the MAC folder.
How to install your PKI site certificate
To install your PKI site certificate to access HPOS, follow the instructions in the readme.html file on the site certificate CD.
With your PKI site certificate you can access:
- healthcare identifiers
- contact details of other organisations using patient administration systems, and
- practice management software or HPOS.
Each practice management software product updates PKI certificates in its own way. Contact your software vendor for help.
Managing your PKI certificate
From time to time we make updates which means you’ll need to update your certificate. Do this manually when you get our instruction.
Before you start
- Update your version of the PKI Certificate Manager Installer. It will contain the current certificate for our Medicare Australia encryption and signing.
- Contact your software vendor to check if there’s a specific process you need to follow.
- Make sure you close the certificate software on your computer before you start manually loading your certificate.
- Contact your IT support area to identify which of your computers hosts your software. It may be your local computer or a central server.
About Certificate Manager
PKI Certificate Manager (Certificate Manager) lets you manage your certificate store so you can claim Medicare benefits online and use patient verification. It’s not used for browser access.
PKI Certificate Manager lets you store and manage certificates for 32 bit computers. It gives you tools to replace or update certificates. Always check with your software vendor before you update certificate store. You may have moved to a Java Key store for supporting certificates and your software may not need an update.
We support these operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 10, 8 and 7
If you use a Mac computer, you should contact your software vendor if you experience error codes after a certificate update.
Download the PKI Certificate Manager Installer. It contains the installation files for Windows computers.
Page last updated: 7 March 2019