Stoma Appliance Scheme

If you are a member of a stoma association within Australia, you can access stoma-related aids and appliances free of charge through the Stoma Appliance Scheme.


To be eligible for the Stoma Appliance Scheme, you must:

  • be an Australian resident
  • be eligible for Medicare or Department of Veterans’ Affairs benefits
  • have a temporary or permanent artificial body opening which facilitates the removal of urine and products of the gastrointestinal tract because you do not have normal gastrointestinal tract or bladder function
  • be a member of a stoma association in Australia, and
  • hold an Stoma Appliance Scheme entitlement card issued through one of the associations.

Stoma products are not available to Australian citizens who live outside Australia or who have been absent from Australia for more than 12 months.

Your stomal therapy nurse will help you join a stoma association or you can contact one of the associations listed on the Australian Council of Stoma Associations website.

Find out more about the Stoma Appliance Scheme on Department of Health website.

Products available under the scheme

Your stomal therapy nurse will advise you which products are suitable for your condition.

The Department of Health has approved a set of products to be issued to eligible members of a stoma association. These products are listed on the Stoma Schedule.

The schedule also provides information about:

  • the maximum quantity you can receive each month
  • the price of the product, and
  • any restrictions.

Additional products

You can receive additional supplies when the monthly allocation does not meet your needs.

To get more than the maximum monthly allowance of products, you need to provide a signed medical additional supply certificate from your stomal therapy nurse or general practitioner.

The certificate must clearly state the clinical justification for additional products and specify the items and quantities you need.

You should give this certificate to your local stoma association who will forward it to us. The additional supply certificate is valid for 6 months.

If you need a product not listed on the schedule, you will need to pay the full price. It will not be subsidised by the government.

Travelling with stoma products

If you are travelling within Australia, you can use your Stoma Appliance Scheme entitlement card at any stoma association. They can supply you with stoma products as a temporary resident in their area.

Where possible, make advance arrangements with an association. This helps them make sure they have your particular products in stock. An advance supply of your monthly allowance is also available to cover holidays.

Stoma products can be ordered up to 2 months in advance. If you are travelling overseas, you can get up to 6 months supply. You will need to provide proof of travel to your association if more than a 2 month supply is needed.

Forms for stoma and paraquad associations

The Stoma Appliance Scheme application form PB049 replaces the Stoma Appliance Authority and Certificate of Eligibility forms and must be completed prior to registering new members.

The Application for additional stoma supplies form PB050 can be used to apply for additional stoma supplies under the SAS. The member must be under the continuing care of a medical professional (either a registered medical practitioner or a stoma therapy nurse), with regular and ongoing reviews.

The following forms must be ordered through The Camerons Group:

  • Stoma Appliance Scheme entitlement card PB044
  • Stoma Appliance Scheme dual entitlement card PB045
  • Supply of pharmaceutical benefits or stoma appliances form (cut sheet) PB046.

Call The Camerons Group on 02 9933 4456 for an order form, then return your order by fax on 02 9933 4444. Orders are despatched within 2 business days

Stoma association contact details

Find your closest association and their contact details at the Australian Council of Stoma Associations website

Page last updated: 22 February 2019