The PBS subsidises ruxolitinib for patients with myelofibrosis.
Treatment with ruxolitinib is subsidised through the PBS under Section 85 of the National Health Act 1953.
This item is available for patients with primary myelofibrosis or post-polycythemia vera myelofibrosis or post-essential thrombocythemia myelofibrosis who are classified as:
- high risk or intermediate–2 risk,
- intermediate–1 risk with severe disease related symptoms that are resistant, refractory or intolerant to available therapy
The Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits on PBS website outlines restrictions for prescribing ruxolitinib to patients.
All initial applications must include a copy of the bone marrow biopsy report confirming the diagnosis of myelofibrosis.
Classification of risk of myelofibrosis must be provided in accordance with either the:
- Myelofibrosis International Prognostic Scoring System (IPSS)
- Dynamic International Prognostic Scoring System (DIPSS), or
- Age Adjusted DIPSS
Patients treated with non PBS subsidised ruxolitinib before 1 February 2016 must submit details of the previous treatment. This must include:
- the date when treatment with ruxolitinib started
- a bone marrow biopsy report confirming the diagnosis of myelofibrosis
- confirmation the PBS restriction criteria for the relevant risk category were met at the time treatment started, and
- the method of ruxolitinib treatment at the time it started, such as through a compassionate use program
Lodging an application
All initial application requests must:
- be made in writing
- include the Myelofibrosis Initial PBS authority application Supporting information form
- include a copy of the bone marrow biopsy report confirming diagnosis of myelofibrosis, and
- include a completed authority prescription form
Send all written applications to the PBS Complex Drugs Programs address.
Authority applications for continuing treatment may be made in writing or by calling the PBS Complex Drugs Programs enquiry line.
For more information contact the PBS Complex Drugs Programs enquiry line.