Online options to help you do business securely, faster and easier.
There are several online services for health professionals.
Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)
AIR is a national register that records vaccinations given to people of all ages in Australia.
Vaccination providers can:
- submit immunisation information, and
- check the immunisation status of individuals in the register
The easiest way to access the AIR is through PRODA or by using your PKI certificate.
Read more about AIR for health professionals.
You can manage health and health related information electronically.
Read more about getting started with digital health.
Health Professional Online Services (HPOS)
With more than 26 services, HPOS is a fast and secure way for you to do business with us online. Using HPOS, you can:
- submit bulk bill, DVA and patient claims using Webclaims
- access and check patient eligibility for services
- create an additional Medicare provider number
- update or add bank and personal details
- view statements and reports
- upload forms and documents, and
- nominate delegates to access services and do tasks on your behalf
Read more about HPOS.
You need to use your Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account to securely access HPOS and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
PRODA is a portable, secure online system that requires no additional software or hardware and is available to anyone who has registered for a PRODA account. Designed as a two-step verification process, it uses a username, password and verification code to log in.
Read more about PRODA.
MBS Online is the Department of Health’s online system that contains the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS), a list of the Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government.
It allows health professionals to check if the service provided for a patient is eligible for a Medicare benefit.
Read more at the Department of Health MBS Online website.
Available through HPOS, PIP Online lets participating practices manage their information and involvement in the Practice Incentives Program (PIP).
Read more about PIP Online in the Practice Incentives Program.
Available through HPOS, PNIP Online lets participating practice nurses manage their information and involvement in the Practice Nurse Incentives Program (PNIP).
Read more about PNIP Online in the Practice Nurse Incentives Program.
Public Key Infrastructure
If you don’t have access to HPOS or wish to use other online services you’ll need a Human Services Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificate.
Read more about Public Key Infrastructure.
National Authentication Service for Health (NASH)
The claiming channel you choose can make a big difference to productivity, cashflow and patient service.
We understand that everyone has different needs. This is why we offer you more ways to make claims.
Aged Care Online claiming
Medicare Easyclaim is used for Medicare bulk billing and patient claiming.
It lets your patients claim their Medicare benefit and have it paid into their bank account through your practice’s EFTPOS terminal or your practice management software.
If you're using Medicare Easyclaim for patient claims, you can start claiming once your EFTPOS provider installs it. For bulk billing, you need to register your bank account details first.
Medicare Easyclaim is simple to adopt, requires minimal training and is easy to use. You can use it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your patients get their benefit almost immediately after swiping their EFTPOS card.
Read more about Medicare Easyclaim.
Health professionals can use Medicare Online to:
- submit claims for bulk billing, patient claims and Department of Veterans’ Affairs claims, and
- securely transfer Australian Immunisation Register data
Your practice management software allows you to lodge your patient claims via a secure internet connection. Talk to your software vendor to find out if online claiming functions are integrated into your software.
If you’re already using Medicare Online, it's easy to 'switch on' patient claiming. To find out more, contact your software vendor or talk to one of our Business Development Officers.
If you're using Medicare Online for patient claiming, you don't have to ask patients for their bank account details. Patients register their bank details with us. Medicare Online lets you submit patient claims even if you don't have the patient's bank account details.
Your patients will usually receive their benefit the next working day.
Read more about Medicare Online for health professionals.
ECLIPSE is the Electronic Claim Lodgement and Information Processing Service Environment.
It provides secure communication between us and:
- health professionals
- public and private hospitals
- private health insurers
- billing agents, and
- the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
ECLIPSE also lets private hospital patients:
- pay only the gap, and
- claim benefits from the Department of Human Services, their private health insurer and Department of Veterans' Affairs
Read more about ECLIPSE.
To register for electronic claiming, or for more information about the best claiming options for your practice, contact us.
Choosing the right online system
To help you make the right choice about which software system you should use, read more about:
- Doing business online for health professionals – how to register to do business with us online
- Vendors offering Medicare online claiming – a list of software vendors’ contact details and the functionality of the software options they provide
- Medicare electronic claiming education for health professionals – information about how to register, claim, and use health professional online systems